Simulation-based Validation and Certification of Vehicle Tests and Designs
- Principal Investigators
- Michael Kokkolaras, Gregory Hulbert, Panos Papalambros, University of Michigan
- Zheng-Dong Ma, University of Michigan
Zissimos Mourelatos, Oakland University
- Zheng-Dong Ma, University of Michigan
- Harshit Sarin, Geunsoo Ryu, Yogita Pai, Hao Pan, Jing Li (post-doc), University of Michigan
- Sudhakar Arepally, Mark Brudnak, Matt Castanier, Paul Decker, David Gorsich, Al Grein, David Lamb, Jose Mabesa, Mike Pozolo, Denise Rizzo, U.S. Army TARDEC
- Ren-Jye Yang, Saeed Barbat, Ford
- Michael Sasena, Emmeskay
- Jinzhong Wang, Ben Wang, MSC.Software
Work began in 2007 and was completed in 2012.
Computational and simulation models enable virtual engineering, i.e., creating designs that can be delivered for production with little or no prototyping and testing. But how much, if at all, can we trust these designs in the absence of “real” (physical) prototyping and testing, and in the presence of approximations and uncertainties? Moreover, even in the case where we do conduct physical testing, how many tests are necessary for certification given that we cannot test for all possible conditions? Much valuable work has been performed to date in verification and validation (V&V) within the broader CAE community and significant effort is being expended to establish V&V standards within the professional societies and practitioners worldwide.
This research developed a new simulation-based validation and certification methodology for both tests and designs; the developed methodology links simulation model validation with the designer’s intent and the necessary cost for obtaining the information required to perform the validation. The research also supports ISO committee work for creating standards for validation of simulation tools and establishing the process of electronic design certification.
- Error Assessment of Response Time Histories (EARTH)
Hulbert, Gregory; Kokkolaras, Michael; Mourelatos, Zissimos; Papalambros, Panos
- Probabilistic Principal Component Analysis (PPCA) based Bayesian model validation framework
Hulbert, Gregory; Kokkolaras, Michael; Papalambros, Panos; Mourelatos, Zissimos
- H. Sarin, M. Kokkolaras, G. Hulbert, P. Papalambros, "A Comprehensive Metric for Comparing Time Histories in Validation of Simulation Models with Emphasis on Vehicle Safety Applications", Proceedings of the ASME Design Engineering Technical Conference, DETC2008/DAC-49669, New York, NY, August 3-6, 2008.
- Y. Pai, M. Kokkolaras, G. Hulbert, P. Papalambros, M. Pozolo, Y. Fu, R. J. Yang, "Assessment of a Bayesian Model and Test Validation Method", National Defense Industrial Association Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium (GVSETS), Troy, Michigan, August 18-20, 2009.
- Y. Pai, M. Kokkolaras, G. Hulbert, Y. Fu, R. J. Yang, S. Barbat, "Sensitivity Analysis of Bayesian Model Validation", SAE World Congress, Detroit, Michigan, 2009.
- Y. Pai, M. Kokkolaras, G. Hulbert, "Towards Confidence Extrapolation of Validated Simulations", 10th US National Congress on Computational Mechanics, Columbus, Ohio, July 16-19, 2009.
- G. Ryu, G. Hulbert, Z.-D. Ma, "Integration of Finite Element and Multibody Dynamics Models Using Gluing Algorithm", 10th US National Congress on Computational Mechanics, Columbus, Ohio, July 16-19, 2009.
- G. Ryu, Z.-D. Ma, G. Hulbert, "Integration of Finite Element and Multibody Dynamics Models Using Gluing Algorithm", 2009 ASME International Design Engineering Technical Conferences, paper no. DETC2009-86735, San Diego, CA, Aug. 30- Sept.2 , 2009.
- H. Sarin, M. Kokkolaras, G. Hulbert, P. Papalambros, S. Barbat, R.-J. Yang, "Comparing Time Histories for Validation of Simulation Models: Error Measures and Metrics", ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, 132(6), October 2010.
- J. Li, Z. Mourelatos, M. Kokkolaras, P. Papalambros, D. Gorsich, "Validating Designs through Sequential Simulation-based Optimization"", paper no. DETC2010-28431",Proceedings of the ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers in Engineering Conference, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, August 15-18, 2010.
- H. Pan, M. Kokkolaras, G. Hulbert, M. P. Castanier, D. Lamb, "Model Validation for Simulations of Vehicle Systems", Proceedings of the 4th Ground Vehicle Systems Engineering and Technology Symposium (GVSETS), 2012.
- M. Kokkolaras, G. Hulbert. P. Papalambros, Z. Mourelatos, R.-J. Yang, M. Brudnak, D. Gorsich, "Towards a Comprehensive Framework for Simulation-based Vehicle Systems Design Validation", International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 61, No.1/2/3/4 pp. 233 - 248, 2013.