Flexible Multibody Dynamics Approach for Tire Dynamics Simulation
- Principal Investigator
- Hiroyuki Sugiyama, University of Iowa,
- Hiroki Yamashita, University of Iowa
- Paramsothy Jayakumar, U.S. Army TARDEC
- Ryoji Hanada, Yokohama Rubber, Co. Ltd.
- SeeChew Soon, Caterpillar Inc.
While existing detailed explicit finite-element tire models have been successfully used for predicting stresses in tires as well as the normal contact pressure distribution under steady-state rolling conditions for passenger cars, these models are not suited for the analysis of transient tire dynamics under severe driving conditions for off-road military vehicles, in which transient tire force characteristics and interaction with deformable terrains play important roles in predicting the nonlinear dynamics of tires. Furthermore, these models cannot be integrated into general multibody dynamics computer algorithms for vehicle dynamics simulation due to the essential difference in formulations and solution procedures used in multibody dynamics and classical finite element approaches. This indeed is the motivation of developing the finite element absolute nodal coordinate formulation (ANCF) tire model which allows for modeling the nonlinear tire dynamics and its interaction with deformable terrains using ANCF elements in a general flexible multibody dynamics simulation framework.
For successful development of the high-fidelity computational scheme for tire and soil interactions, the following three key issues need to be addressed: (1) development of new shear deformable ANCF elements and their application to the modeling of tire structures; (2) development of soil models that can be integrated with the ANCF tire model; and (3) development of high performance computing (HPC) schemes for ANCF tire/soil interaction simulation. Toward this goal, this research particularly focuses on the new development of high-fidelity ANCF tire model and its integration with physics-based soil models and HPC algorithms that are developed under TARDEC’s initiatives.
- Tire dynamics software for off-road mobility simulation
- Computational tire-soil interaction model for soil bin mobility test
- Yamashita, H., Valkeapää, A., Jayakumar, P. and Sugiyama, H., 2015, "Continuum Mechanics Based Bilinear Shear Deformable Shell Element Using Absolute Nodal Coordinate Formulation", ASME Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 10, pp. 051012-1-9. doi:10.1115/1.4028657
- Valkeapää, A., Yamashita, H., Jayakumar, P. and Sugiyama, H., 2015, "On the Use of Elastic Middle Surface Approach in the Large Deformation Analysis of Moderately Thick Shell Structures Using Absolute Nodal Coordinate Formulation", Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 80, pp. 1133-1146. doi:10.1007/s11071-015-1931-6
- Yamashita, H., Matsutani, Y. and Sugiyama, H., 2015, "Longitudinal Tire Dynamics Model for Transient Braking Analysis: ANCF-LuGre Tire Model", ASME Journal of Computational and Nonlinear Dynamics, vol. 10, pp. 031003-1-11. doi:10.1115/1.4028335
- Gerstmayr, J., Sugiyama, H. and Mikkola, A., "Review on the Absolute Nodal Coordinate Formulation for Large Deformation Analysis of Multibody Systems", J. Comput. Nonlinear Dynam. 8(3), 031016 (Mar 21, 2013) (12 pages) Paper No: CND-12-1139; doi: 10.1115/1.4023487
- Mizuno, Y. and Sugiyama, H., "Sliding and Non-Sliding Joint Constraints of B-spline Plate Elements for Integration with Flexible Multibody Dynamics Simulation", J. Comput. Nonlinear Dynam. 9(1), 011001 (Sep 25, 2013) (10 pages) Paper No: CND-12-1129; doi: 10.1115/1.4025277
- Yamashita, H., Jayakumar, P. and Sugiyama, H., 2015, "Development of Shear Deformable Laminated Shell Element and its Application to ANCF Tire Model", Proceedings of ASME International Conference on Multibody Systems, Nonlinear Dynamics, and Control (ASME DETC2015-46173), Boston, MA, United States. doi:10.1115/DETC2015-46173
- Sugiyama, H., Yamashita, H. and Jayakumar, P., 2015, "ANCF Tire Models for Multibody Ground Vehicle Simulation", Proceedings of International Tyre Colloquium: Tyre Models for Vehicle Dynamics Analysis, Guildford, United Kingdom. (link)
- Yamashita, H., Valkeapää, A., Jayakumar, P. and Sugiyama, H., 2014, "Bi-Linear Shear Deformable ANCF Shell Element using Continuum Mechanics Approach", Proceedings of ASME International Conference on Multibody Systems, Nonlinear Dynamics, and Control (ASME DETC2014-35349), Buffalo, NY, United States. doi:10.1115/DETC2014-35349
- Matsutani, Y. and Sugiyama, H., 2013, "On the Parameter Identification of LuGre Tire Friction Model", Proceedings of ASME 2013 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, Vol. 7B, 9th International Conference on Multibody Systems, Nonlinear Dynamics, and Control Portland, Oregon, USA, August 4–7, 2013. Paper No. DETC2013-13400, pp. V07BT10A023, doi: 10.1115/DETC2013-13400